A simple and elegant way to get users to respond to a survey is to send out survey messages via email. The functionality for sending out emails can be accessed in one of the following two ways:
- Select an email list on the Email List page, and then click the Send option
- On the Survey List page, click the Deploy button, and then click the Email Lists button
To send an email message, first select an email list. You may choose to send to all email addresses in the list, or to filter the email addresses to a subset of the email list.
After specifyin the email recipients, click Continue. On the next page, select the desired survey from the dropdown box. Then enter the email subject, from email address, the text of the email, and any other optional fields, as explained on the page.
A number of fields, including the first name, last name, custom data, and more, may optionally be included in the text of the email. To do so, simply insert the following tokens in the location where you would like to display the appropriate field of data:
- #SurveyLink# - The location of the link to the survey (required)
- #DeclineLink# - The location of the link a user can click to decline responding to the survey
- #FirstName# - The first name of the email recipient * #LastName# - The last name of the email recipient
- #CustomData1# - The first custom data field
- #CustomData2# - The second custom data field
- #CustomData3# - The third custom data field
Before the email is sent, the token will be replaced by the appropriate value for each recipient. If a token is specified but no data is available, the token is simply removed from the email.
When sending emails, there is a checkbox that can optionally be selected to determine whether the email should be sent as plain text or in HTML format. For emails using HTML format, simply include the desired HTML in the main textbox for the body of the email.